For many years, there was no option other than to have your funeral planned by a family member or friend after your death. While you could share your wishes with these individuals during your lifetime, the task of making sure these wishes were honored would ultimately fall on your loved ones after you were gone. Nowadays, there is another option known as preplanned or prepaid funeral services. These services allow you to not only pay for your funeral service ahead of time, but to plan this service as well. Below you will learn more about the pros and cons associated with this option so that you can decide if planning your own funeral service is the right choice for you.
There are several benefits that come along with choosing to plan your own funeral service. These benefits include:
- Relieve Stress On Family - By choosing to plan your own funeral service, you will effectively help to reduce the stress that your family is under after your death. Rather than having to plan your funeral, they will be able to simply concentrate on making it through the grieving process.
- Guarantee Your Wishes Are Observed - While you can share your wishes with a loved one, you cannot guarantee that they will choose to observe these wishes once you are gone. With a preplanned funeral service, you can be sure that your final farewell goes exactly as you wished.
- Lock In A Lower Price - As with most products and services, the cost of a funeral will only continue to increase with time due to inflation. When preplanning your funeral service, you will have the ability to lock in a lower price by paying for this service at today's rates rather than paying the retail cost of these services at the time of your death.
There are also some disadvantages which can accompany a preplanned funeral service. These disadvantages include:
- Going Out Of Business - There is always the chance that the funeral home you chose will go out of business before your death. If the services you purchased are non-refundable, this could mean losing your entire investment.
- Confronting Mortality - Preplanning your funeral service will require you to confront your own mortality. Sharing your decision with your family members will require them to confront your mortality as well. In some cases, this can be a very difficult task to undertake.
- Life Changes - While you may know exactly what you would want if you were to die today, there is a chance that these wishes will change over the years due to the many different changes in your life. For instance, if you choose to relocate, chances are you will want to be buried in your new city. This can be a serious problem if your prepaid funeral services are only valid at a funeral home halfway across the country.
The Bottom Line
Preplanned funeral services will not be right for everyone. For instance, individuals who are uncomfortable facing their own mortality may find these services to be unsettling. However, if you are able to overcome some of the disadvantages which accompany these services, choosing to plan your own funeral can serve as a wonderful way of leaving a final loving message for those you care about most. For more information on funeral services, contact a company like Louis Suburban Chapel's Inc.